- Our politics and culture are mired in fear and tribalism.
- The algorithms tracking you on social media are triggered by your negative emotions and amplify the negativity.
- Your digital tribe keeps consuming and feeding each other with the same ideology.
- We regress further into tribalism and mistrust of those not in your tribe.
- Higher social media use is linked with increased anxiety, stress and depression.
- Short attention spans deactivate critical thinking skills (skills which are no longer being taught by the intellectual elites in our colleges and universities).
Those of us old enough to know what life was like before social media may remember how exciting Facebook was at its inception. Imagine, the ability to connect with old friends we had not seen for decades! Then, Facebook was a virtual dynamic conversation. This brilliant idea, to connect to others with shared experiences and interests, was strengthened with the advent of Twitter, Instagram and apps.
Things did not remain that simple. These platforms have morphed into Frankenstein’s monsters, filled with so-called friends we’ve never met, slanted news stories, celebrity gossip, self-aggrandizement and ads.The Matrix is already here: Social media promised to connect us, but left us isolated, scared and tribal — https://theconversation.com/the-matrix-is-already-here-social-media-promised-to-connect-us-but-left-us-isolated-scared-and-tribal-148799
I’ve written about the dangers of social media many times:
I’ve bulleted the highlights of the Matrix article but the entire article is well worth reading. What truth?