- Severe autoimmune diabetes (formerly type 1 diabetes): affected 6% of patients in the derivation cohort; characteristics include early-onset disease, relatively low BMI, and GADA-positive
- Severe insulin-deficient diabetes: 18% of patients; GADA-negative but similar to cluster 1; lowest HOMA2-B scores
- Severe insulin-resistant diabetes: 15%; higher HOMA2-IR scores
- Mild obesity-related diabetes: 22%; obese, but not insulin resistant
- Mild age-related diabetes: 39%; older than other clusters, but largely similar to cluster 4
Quoted from NEJM Journal Watch.